Technology domains: Python, Java, Scala, Kafka, Spark, Beam, Dataflow, Docker, Kubernetes, SQL, AWS, GCP
Location: Paris, France
Square Sense is a fast-growing platform that provides advanced data solutions to global real estate developers, investors and managers. The company builds AI-powered “brains” that improve the operational and financial performance of real estate assets by providing real-time pattern detection and autonomous optimization. They also greatly enhance the overall experience for the tenants.
Square Sense was founded in 2017 in Paris by a multi-cultural team of talented engineers and data scientists.
Software Engineering at Square Sense
In Square Sense's Software Engineering Team we are building a multitude of products in the domains of data collection, analysis, visualization and IoT manipulation. Our systems collect data from IoT devices or third-party data sources, process ingested data in streaming and batch modes, organize processed data, provide the APIs to access it (thus creating a data analytics platform), or use third-party APIs to manipulate the physical world (thus making an automated decision making solution).
Our main programming languages are Python and Scala. From software engineering standpoint, our current technology stack includes Docker and Kubernetes, Apache Kafka, Apache Beam and Apache Airflow, as well as various related Google Cloud Platform services (GKE, Dataflow, Pub/Sub, BigQuery) and some Amazon Web Services (ECS, Lambda, Kinesis), and various technologies for API development (GraphQL and REST APIs).
All team members are responsible for the overall design and architecture, development, quality, production delivery, and monitoring.
As a Data Engineer you will be a member of the Software Engineering Team. This position implies close collaboration with members of our Data Science Team, who design and implement various data processing algorithms.
Primary objectives of a Data Engineer are:
- Develop various components for data collection (connectors for various IoT devices and third-party services, web hooks, or MQ clients) and ingestion of collected data.
- Develop data processing applications (streaming and batch data pipelines with Apache Kafka or Apache Beam / Dataflow for example).
- Automate data processing tasks and their monitoring in production (for example: orchestration of batch processing jobs).
- Design efficient data models using various storage technologies (cloud file storages, relational DBs, non-relational DBs).
- Implement APIs (GraphQL and REST) to access processed data.
We are looking for a software engineers with 3+ years of industry experience in back-end software development or data engineering. Candidates for this position are expected to have:
- Industry experience and strong programming skills with at least one of the following programming languages: Python, Java, or Scala. We expect a candidate to be fully autonomous in the coding process.
- Industry experience in back-end software development and/or data engineering.
- Good knowledge of SQL and relational databases.
- A taste for high quality software (clean code, high test coverage, willingness to do thorough PR reviews).
Knowledge in following areas is a plus:
- Kafka / Spark / Beam
- Docker and Kubernetes
- NoSQL databases
- Amazon Web Services / Google Cloud Platform
- Agile methodology and Scrum in particular
Being passionate about IT ourselves, we are looking for a likewise passionate person with a good team spirit.
Working at Square Sense
Every member of our enthusiastic multi-cultural team is passionate about the technology; team leaders have 10+ years of professional experience in Software Engineering and Data Science. Currently with 8 full-time members we are looking to double the team size in next 12 months. We offer a motivating work environment, competitive salary and participation in the stock option plan. We work in a nice comfortable office in the center of Paris (Métro Strasbourg – Saint-Denis).
To apply for this position, please send us your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Data Engineer".