Data engineering internship
Data analysis pipeline
Technology domains: Python, Scala, Apache Beam, Docker, Kubernetes, SQL, AWS, GCP
Location: Paris, France
Duration: 6 months
Square Sense is a fast-growing platform that provides advanced data solutions to global real estate developers, investors and managers. The company builds AI-powered “brains” that improve the operational and financial performance of real estate assets by providing real-time pattern detection and autonomous optimization. They also greatly enhance the overall experience for the tenants.
Square Sense was founded in 2017 in Paris by a multi-cultural team of talented engineers and data scientists.
Software Engineering at Square Sense
In Square Sense's Software Engineering Team we are building a multitude of products in the domains of data collection, analysis, visualization and IoT manipulation. Our systems collect data from IoT devices or third-party data sources, process ingested data in streaming and batch modes, organize processed data, provide the APIs to access it (thus creating a data analytics platform), or use third-party APIs to manipulate the physical world (thus making an automated decision making solution).
Our main programming languages are Python and Scala. From software engineering standpoint, our current technology stack includes Docker and Kubernetes, Apache Kafka, Apache Beam and Apache Airflow, as well as various related Google Cloud Platform services (GKE, Dataflow, Pub/Sub, BigQuery) and some Amazon Web Services (ECS, Lambda, Kinesis), and various technologies for API development (GraphQL and REST APIs).
All team members are responsible for the overall design and architecture, development, quality, production delivery, and monitoring.
As a member of the Software engineering Team you will be guided by Lead Engineer. The primary goal of this internship is to evolve and improve a data collection and data processing pipeline, and deliver your modifications regularly to production for end users, which includes design of data models and data storage (BigQuery, PostgreSQL, Google Cloud Storage), work on data ingestion components (Python and Scala, Docker, Kubernetes), batch and stream processing systems (Python and Scala, Apache Airflow / Google Dataflow). Your tasks will include:
- Work within a Scrum framework with your teammates and in collaboration with other teams: research & data science, project management.
- Design and develop source code for a multitude of Square Sense products in order to deliver new functionalities or modify existing behavior of our data processing pipeline.
- Write automated tests (unit tests, integration tests) for new features developed by yourself, or previously existing ones.
- Deliver updated systems to production for use by end-users.
- Work on improvements of everyday team productivity (automation of existing processes, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery).
- Participate in the architecture design of Square Sense products.
We are looking for a student interested in data engineering and data warehouse design that is studying for a postgraduate degree in engineering, a master (M2), or an equivalent university course and is looking for a 4-month or a 6-month internship. Candidates for this position are expected to have knowledge of:
- Relational and/or non-relational databases
Knowledge in following areas is a plus:
- Java or Scala
- Apache Beam / Google Cloud Dataflow
- Usage of Amazon Web Services and/or Google Cloud Platform
- Agile methodology and Scrum in particular
Being passionate about IT ourselves, we are looking for a likewise passionate person with a good team spirit. We offer a competitive salary and work in a great location in the center of Paris.
To apply for this position, please send us your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line "Data engineering internship: Data analysis pipeline".