Scala Software Developer
Technology domains: Scala, Kafka, Spark, Docker, Kubernetes, Akka, web back-end, AWS, GCP, Azure
Location: Paris, France
Square Sense is a fast-growing platform that provides advanced data solutions to global real estate developers, investors and managers. The company builds AI-powered “building brains” that support the digital transformation of investment and asset management, and improve the operational and financial performance of real estate assets.
These brains provide real-time pattern interpretation of user community profiles and service performance, and enable autonomous optimization to greatly enhance the user experience for the tenants and the asset/portfolio management strategy execution such as investment, net income or ESG.
Square Sense was founded in 2017 in Paris by a multi-cultural team of talented engineers and data scientists.
Software Engineering at Square Sense
In Square Sense's Software Engineering Team we are building a multitude of products in the domains of data collection, analysis, visualization and IoT manipulation. Our systems collect data from IoT devices and third-party data sources, process ingested data in streaming and batch modes, organize processed data, provide the APIs to access it (thus creating a data analytics platform), or use third-party APIs to manipulate the physical world (thus making an automated decision making solution).
Our main programming languages are Scala and Python. Our solution is built with modern technologies such as (list is not exhaustive): Docker and Kubernetes, Kafka stack (Kafka, Kafka Connect, KSQL), Spark, Airflow. Our production platforms run in the public clouds (Azure, GCP, AWS) and employ related services such as GKE, Dataproc (GCP) and AKS, HDInsight (Azure) to name a few, and we deploy the software in a Continuous Delivery process. We focus on high quality of our software and all team members take seriously such practices as automated testing and PR reviews for instance.
All team members are responsible for the overall design and architecture, development, quality, production delivery, and monitoring.
As a Scala Software Developer you will be a member of the Software Engineering Team. This position implies close collaboration with all members of the Software Engineering Team: Software Developers, Data Engineers, DevOps Engineers.
Primary objectives of a Scala Software Developer are:
- Design and develop applications in the domain of IoT, such as web hooks, and APIs for actuation (manipulation of IoT devices), working under high request rates.
- Design and develop complex domain-specific back-end APIs (REST, GraphQL) for web applications, such as for data visualization or IoT configuration systems, for example.
- Deisgn, develop and distribute Scala libraries and internal APIs to support data processing needs, such as systems to index the data, monitor data quality, or trace the data modifications.
- In collaboration with Data Engineers and Data Scientist, develop Spark data processing applications.
- Deliver the software to production (Azure, GCP) in collaboration with DevOps Engineers (Docker, Kubernetes, Helm).
We are looking for a software developer with 2+ years of industry experience in back-end software development. Candidates for this position are expected to have:
- Industry experience and strong programming skills in Scala, as well as good understanding of the JVM. We expect a candidate to be fully autonomous in the coding process.
- Willingness to learn new programming languages and new technologies, and to work in a rich technical environment where full stack software development joins Data Engineering and DevOps.
- Industry experience in back-end software development and development of APIs for web-based services (such as REST APIs for example).
- A strong taste for high quality software (clean code, high test coverage, willingness to do thorough PR reviews).
Knowledge in following areas is a plus:
- Docker, Kubernetes, Helm
- Amazon Web Services / Google Cloud Platform / Microsoft Azure
- Agile methodology and Scrum in particular
Being passionate about IT ourselves, we are looking for a likewise passionate person with a good team spirit.
What we offer
- An experienced engineering team with a very strong high-quality development mentality yet focused on fast and agile execution to achieve business impact
- A data-centric product, where data engineers make an important contribution to making it all happen
- A team leader with more than 10 years of professional experience in software engineering
- A competitive salary and eligibility for participation in the stock option plan.
- Performance-based bonuses
- Fast-growing early-stage startup: team size is expected to double in the next 12 months
- A multi-cultural team that is passionate about technology, regular team outings
- Open communication, flat hierarchy, and fast execution
- Flexible working hours, allowance for partial telecommuting
- A budget for personal education, participation to conferences, and training
- A comfortable office in the center of Paris (Strasbourg – Saint-Denis metro station)
To apply for this position, please send us your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Scala Software Developer".